Skip to main content

Are those nachos in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?

"When you say you saw her, I assume you mean in the literal sense?"  I asked Fenny half hoping he had, in fact, seen her and half hoping it was the figment of an overactive imagination.  Ever since we found our way out of the quagmire that started so many years ago Fenny had been known for letting his fears override his grip on reality.  He would often swear we were being followed.  Stalked. 
Fenny answered "As sure as I am sitting here.  She saw me too.  I know it, I just know it.  What are we going to do?  Christ! She saw me.. she did...".  I interrupted here and spoke to Fenny in a quiet yet firm tone, "Ok.  If she did, let's say she did see you.  What?  Did you she follow you? Is she outside the window?  No?   Of course she isn't.  She isn't that dumb."  I think I was trying to calm us both down. 
Storms follow some people.  Some people create the storms.   But Elle was the storm.  And she didn't care who got caught in her destruction.

__________________________________________________________________________________

At about 11, Fenny and I found our way to the Sippy Freeze.  The town was small and it didn't take a lot of time or effort to find this establishment.   The sad part was I was starving.  The tragedy is that Sippy Freeze was known for their nachos.  Fenny was starting to fade.  Between being starved to death and the stress of swindling a meal he was exhausted.  Fenny wasn't built for the life on the run.
As we were waiting Fenny looked over at me with bloodshot eyes and started to ask me something.  For as long as I had known Fenny he couldn't handle stress.  Not school stress, not life stress.  Not even the stress of picking out his outfit.   This was killing him.  He was hungry and tired.  We had been in jail.  We were meeting a purple headed control freak.  A woman who was going to help us get some cash.  A woman we didn't know.  The hoarseness in his voice told me all I needed to know about the dark clouds in his mind.  Fenny sort of grunted "Did you get her name?  The girl from the counter.  The one we are meeting."  I snorted, "Shit...I didn't.  It happened so fast I didn't even ask."
Fenny actually laughed.  It was nice to hear his laugh.  I really did feel horrible for getting us into this situation.  Not so much for me but for Fenny.  I could handle it or at least get over anything that would happen to us.  Fenny, though...Fenny.  He had it hard as it was.  I think I was his only real friend and, trust me, that is not a great thing.  Sure, people liked Fenny but he didn't have a lot of close relationships.  I did care about him though.   I wasn't completely dead inside. His laugh made me feel a little less like a creep.
He looked at me and asked me if I had any thoughts on what her name was.   I thought about it for a while and couldn't really imagine a name for her.  He just stared at me as I was thinking.  Finally, I blurted our "Glibby?".   Fenny just kept staring at me and then started laughing a little gruff laugh.  "That's kind of funny.  Maybe her name is Portia?"  Fenny said this with a slight accent to denote snootiness.  I didn't really understand where he was going with that but rolled with it.  Fenny wasn't great at jokes.
We sat there for a little while longer making up names.  Barney came up.  I had to, even if it was a cheap shot.  Fenny tried his hands at a few more but they are so damn embarrassing that I don’t even want to mention them. Right about the time we were debating the difference between Kelly and Kelli, she rounded the corner, stopped and stood there blankly looking us up and down.  She pulled a slightly crumbled pack of cigarettes from her jacket pocket and put a slightly crumbled cigarette between her lips.  It was almost poetic.  As she fished her lighter from the same crumbled pack she said “My name isn’t Barney or Kelly or Tonya or Glibby…”  as she said Glibby she flicked a flame from her lighter and took a drag from her cigarette.  Holding my gaze as she did it.  Then she coughed and sorta ruined the moment.
I was chuckling.  She obviously didn’t smoke much, if ever.  But I had to give it to her, she was trying.  She looked at me and said, “My name is Elle.”.  I stopped laughing.  She didn’t seem phased by the fact that I wasn’t phased by her weird attempt at cigarette aggression.  Which then kind of phased me. But I was even more intrigued at this point.  What did she have going on?
She struggled through her cigarette as I started to ask her the important question on everyone’s mind.  “How did you get your hair purple?  Or at least purpleish?  Purplelike? Was it Kool Aid?  It was Kool Aid.  I heard you could try that with Kool Aid but I never knew anyone who actually did that.  My cousin, he tried to dye his hair with real bleach.  Holy moly was tha…” She flicked her cigarette at me.
“I’m not really sure why I am doing this, but I do need a few extra hands and you two were the options that seemed most viable at the time.  So please, PLEASE just shut up.”  Her tone was that of a bored school teacher who was also a bored parent.  She let the silence hang for a few seconds, almost a few seconds too long.  “Ok, here is the deal.  We are going to rob the high school and we are going to do it two nights from now. You are going to help me and in return you can stay in my garage.  I’ll feed you.  I’ll give you a roof. I won’t do anything else.  When we are done you can leave with some of the cash, but I will tally what you owe me and take that from each of your cuts.”
We have never really talked about it in depth, but I am fairly certain I know why Fenny started running the other direction half way through her telling us of the plan.  It wasn’t because he was vehemently opposed to the proposition but more because he had to take a massive fear dump. Elle, for her part, just stared at me waiting for the answer or acknowledgement.  More acknowledgement.  I mean she basically just told us what to do. 
She just kept staring.  Fenny was off pooping.
Finally, she smirked and said “Alright asshole.  You can talk now.”  I grinned and then started kicking a few rocks at my feet. I started moving my mouth as the plan I was really hatching was forming in my brain. “I am guessing you have planned this out.  But you couldn’t have planned on us.  Even with all the time afforded your obviously overactive imagination during the working hours at the old-fashioned hamburger joint.  There is just no way.  Something has happened to your plan and fate, well fate, brought us together.  You need us as much as we need you.  Maybe you need us more.  I’ll be fair and we will take your deal with one exception.  When the job is done, we split it more evenly without the tally.”
I could tell she was thinking.  She started to play with her ear, and I could tell she was either uncomfortable or too comfortable.  It was like she was stalling.  But I couldn’t quite tell if the stall was because she was trying to figure out her next move or if she was trying to trick me into thinking she was thinking about her next move.  It struck me that maybe I had been smoking too much pot lately.
As Fenny was walking back, I noticed she noticed, and I could feel the urgency in her voice as she responded. “Deal. Meet me at my house in a few hours so my parents are guaranteed to already be asleep.  Don’t bring a ton of crap and leave your car far enough away that no one sees you leave it but close enough we can get to it in the morning.  Oh… and get your friend some pampers.”  This struck me as curious.  Why was she avoiding Fenny?  I’m sure he wiped.
I turned around to see his progress back to us and started to say “Great, now how do we get to your hou…”  She was gone when I turned back.  I really need to get better at getting pertinent information.  Once Fenny noticed she was gone he said “That was intense. Not the poop I just took but that plan.  I mean the poop was too but the plan was worse.  That was intense.”  As he was finishing up telling me how intense the situation was a young woman about our age came back around the corner with a bag.  She handed me the bag and said “The nachos you wanted are inside. Enjoy!”   She started to walk away and turned back and said “and….uh…you can’t hang out back here any longer. Sorry.”
We started walking back to the car and I just had to ask Fenny something that had been on my mind.  “Fenny…why didn’t you take a shit in the bathroom at the restaurant? I understand having to, because I know you.  But come on…it was right there.”  He just looked at me with shame in his eyes.  I started to dig into the bag and found a note.  It was from Elle.  It was an address with a crudely drawn map.  The note below the map said “I won’t call it fate until we are done. Don’t be late.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you running from?

The tiles on the bathroom floor were so cold.  Cold and comfortable.  And the feeling in my stomach reminded me of the benders I had been on during my days in sales.  Sick and empty.  But that floor.  Heaven. That is what I remember about my first 1 mile  run.  Whenever anyone asks me about how/why I started running this is what I tell them.  Why do I start this way?  Simply because it paints the beautiful picture of why runners run.  5kers, marathon (what?) speedsters, ultra beasts and casual pub runners all have the same drive.  All share an obsession.  That obsession is squeezing out every drop of the wonderfully sweet syrup life has to offer.  It starts with pain, but running leaves you enjoying the simple things so much more.  Water.  Plain water even tastes sweet. Now that we are getting to know each other I should let you in on a something all those that  are close to me know.  I talk...a lot.  So, of course the story of how/why I began isn't as simple as me laying on a

I am Sean and that is good enough

It is a feeling I have had before.  Many times, actually.  Yet I can't quite put my finger on what it is or what is causing it.  The feeling is something close to desperation mixed with a morose cloud that is overwhelming but still somewhat subtle.  Constant and buzzing in the background.  It starts in the pit of my stomach.  Washes over me in waves that ebb and flow during the day.  My head is clear but thoughts are jumbled.  It is sad.  It is maddening. It is depression. Recently these feelings have been building. There have been things that I have let get under my skin that have caused me to really be down on myself.  I have withdrawn from friends and family.  This is something I am just now becoming conscious of.  It is my way of giving the ones I care about a break from having to deal with me when I am in a mood like this.  It is selfish and I honestly don't know why I keep doing it.  I apologize. The first time I remember being truly sad was when I was 6.  My grandfat

Anxiety and the Art of Self Resilience

January and February are usually  tough months for me.  Lack of sunshine, work stress and self diagnosed seasonal depression all descend on me at once, in one fell swoop.  This leaves my head swimming with a wonderful cocktail of anxiety and self depreciation.  It isn't uncommon for me to retreat into myself.  Last year I had running to focus on.  Holiday Lake 50k++ on the horizon.  I had things to keep me busy and things to look forward to.  This year... I have Umstead 100 mile endurance race and (had) Holiday Lake 50K++, the return of Mao Mao.   But this year I also have a pretty angry left leg.  My tibia is pissed.  And it has every right to be. I've overworked it even though it has been giving me the warning signs of something being wrong.  In short I haven't enjoyed a run since early December.   But this post isn't about leg pain, leg pain management or for me to complain about the pain.  I have already posted about that many times.  No, this is some bullshit pos