Skip to main content

Rim to River 100 - Wild and Wonderful Fun

 Our world shapes us as much as we shape our world.  That is something I can't stop thinking about as I process the wild and wonderful miles I spent with some of my best friends this past weekend (November 7th-8th 2020).   It strikes me that, like so much in life, the pursuit of achieving dreams is a journey best traveled with good company.   Successfully surrounding yourself with supportive, talented, thoughtful, and dedicated people is the cornerstone of growth.   And like I've written before in reference to other races, this race didn't begin on the 7th, it started sometime in April. 

Last year, after running the Bryce Canyon 100, I decided that I would race locally this year.  Focus on local races and training on local trails.   Give back to the people and places that have shaped me.   50ks and 50 milers would be easy to find.  I knew I really wanted to run Brett Sherfy's Gateway 50k and (crew schedule permitting) take another crack at Eastern Divide 50k.   But the hundo was eluding me.  Grindstone 100 is a great race and so is Umstead 100 but for a few reasons, I didn't think I would be ready for either.    So I did what any self-respecting Ultra nut does... I went to Ultra Signup.  

There I was, late at night, searching for THE race.  The one that would scratch my local 100-mile itch.  And boom, there it was.  At first, I thought it was a mistake.  No way... wait...is that FAYETTEVILLE WV?  NO WAY!?! Contrary to popular belief (some may even call it a legend), I did go to the website to check it out before signing up.  Now, did I 100% consume all the info?  I mean, not really.  But I at least made sure it was 100 miles, had a few aid stations, and wasn't somewhere around 40,000 feet of vertical gain.  Those who know, know those are the pertinent details.   After a few texts to some friends as a gut check, I pulled the trigger. 

With that, my race schedule was set.  I even made reservations at the ACE Adventure Resort to make sure that the crew and I would be as comfortable as we could during the weekend.   There had been some conversation about other races, schemes, and such, but my heart was stolen by the idea of chasing a dream in the backyard of my childhood home.  I was on cloud nine and ready to start training.  Then February 2020 happened.  And, almost overnight, the idea of racing locally (or even at all) started to fade like fog being burned off the top of Mountain Lake as the sun rises.   

The former strategy for most of my big races was to "race to train".  This was mainly because I travel a lot for work and paying to throw yourself into the jaws of the ultra beast has a certain weight to it that doesn't let you slip into complacency.  Plainly said, I don't slack when dough is on the line.  With a pandemic raging and all the smart decisions being made, that strategy wasn't going to work.  To be honest, it wasn't working anyway.   Enter Jordan Chang. 

Sometime in April, Jordan reached out to me to see if I would be amenable to being coached.  This was something we had talked about before and I wasn't so warm to the idea.  But he tweaked the idea a little by offering HIS COACHING.  I couldn't nor did I want to say no.  This was a huge and wonderful idea.  I said yes right away and we started with a few conversations about goals and such.  He knew I signed up for a virtual 50k that month so we agreed to start after that effort.   It was a wonderful experience.  Jordan (for those who don't know him) is an amazing friend and mentor.  He also has had a lot of experience with racing and running in the mountains.  He knows how to do hard things.  He knew that he would need to call on both to get me to the start line of the inaugural running of Rim to River 100. 

The months went by and as the world learned more about Covid-19, my crew and I adapted.  I slowly started running more with friends (socially distant).   Jordan's training was keeping me on track.  One big thing we worked on was consistency.  That was seriously lacking in the last few years of my training.   People were noticing and that felt good.  But I also just felt good.  I was feeling stronger every week.   

As the race loomed closer we finally got word that it was, in fact, going to happen.  So with that, I got the crew 100% locked down.   The RD (Bryant Baker) and his team at RTR100 had put a lot of thought into their response to Covid-19.   And seeing as this was WV's first 100-mile race and in the back yard of my childhood home, I decided to keep the crew small.   Those of you who know me, know that was tough.  Jordan was going to crew me the entire race and I asked Trevor and Chris Miller to pace.  We were set and race day was upon us. 

Jordan and I drove up wagon train style Friday after lunch.  We decided to take the scenic route which allowed me to skip the tolls (sorry Jimmy) and reminisce about growing up in WV.  This, unfortunately for Chris, meant that we didn't arrive at the planned time.   Once we did, I checked into our cabin and then the race.  We got to the cabin, Jordan went for a run and I went back down to add some offerings to the drop bag gods which was an Ace Adventure van that I think I've ridden in before during Gauley season.  I even got to gush to Bryant about how much this race meant to me.  

Once I got back we chatted about what I would need during the race and when I assumed I may need those things.  Assumed being the operative word because, as they reminded me a lot, 100 miles is a long way to go and anything can happen.  

Saturday morning I woke up to the smell of bacon and homemade Miller biscuits.  Not only is Chris Miller a talented ultra runner, super thoughtful man, but he is also one hell of a biscuit slinger.   I was pretty nervous but I was able to eat a little.  Not long after I finished my biscuit, Jordan and I loaded up and drove the short distance to the start.   The buzz was real and I was high on anticipation of an epic journey.   Wave 5 was about to leave.  

So here is the Race Report 

The race starts at Ace Adventure Resort and you spend the first 14ish miles running the trails that wind around their property.  These are some super fun trails and a great way to start.  After all of that, you find yourself at Arbuckle Creek which you get to go across.  Most people were rock hopping but ol' Mao Mao decide to go for it and almost got a bath.  But the cool water felt good on my calves (I have calves now).  

 Jordan and I at the start (photo cred. Jordan's sweet new phone)



Next up you make your way to Thurmond as you mainly stay along the New River, crossing it once as you go into Thurmond (using a bridge, the New is pretty big...look it up).  Really great aid station in Thurmond.   From there you make your way to Anstead as you stay along the New River.   It is so pretty through here.  Lots of ghost towns and abandoned train rail.  Before long you find yourself at the marathon mark and the Cunard Aid station.  Which is also the first time you see your crew.  And that felt great! At this point, I was about an hour and a half ahead of my goal pace.  Whoopsie.  I really wanted to start smarter but I was having too much fun.  I'll pay for it later but I enjoyed the ride.  



Happy Sean with Food 

Jordan quickly snapped a few proud coach pictures and got me going again.  He wisely told me to walk the road climb out of Cunard and even drove to the top to make sure I was following the coaching.  At the top, you pop onto Kaymoor Trail which takes you to THE STEPS OF DEATH.  I mean not really, not like Promise Land or anything but dude, they are steep.   I distinctly remember passing a few families as I made my way up to the top and I can only assume they thought I was half goat.  Not because of how I was moving but because of how I smelled. 

From here you wind up and down a bit as you head to the point I really enjoyed (solo) the most.  The Long Point Overlook (mile 42).  It happened to be close to sunset and I was treated to an unfettered view of the New River Gorge Bridge.  I got pretty happy here and even teared up.  I started listening to my playlist and turned my mind off at this point.  This helped ease my mind and got me back to moving.  My stomach started to act up but I just told myself that what running a hundred is like and kept moving.  Leaving the Long Point Aid station though, I lost it.  I probably cried for a mile.  And for no real reason.  Time to eat haha.  

From Long Point, you go to Fayette Station Aid and on to Hawks Nest.  This part of the trail has some tricky footing but it was so awesome to run through the night in this part.  It felt a lot like Hellgate.  And a lot of Hellgate is a lot like running on wet, 10" greasy marbles that are covered with wet greasy leaves.  These miles were spent in the dark physically and a little mentally.  A goal of mine was to make it through as much of this race in a celebratory state of mind and up until this point, I had succeeded.  From about the marathon, however, I had been battling some stomach discomfort.  I had thought I fell into a remedy so the good news was that I was feeling good as I approached Anstead and the mile 55 turnaround.

When I got to this aid station, Jordan and Chris were happily waiting on me.  They rushed me to the chair so I could get changed and eat.  Oh what a treat, a double cheeseburger from McDonald's.  I WAS SO HAPPY!  My legs felt great, my stomach was settled and I was about to head back out with Chris.  The night seemed to be going in the right direction and I was on cloud nine.  

I haz Cheezburger, is that still a thing? (Jordan again) 


Chris and I took our time leaving so that my newly ingested heaven meal could settle.  But I was moving pretty well.  The night air was cool but not cold.  The conversation was great, as expected.  We got some running in between Anstead and Fayette Station.  I noticed though that my stomach was really starting to rebel.  I told myself to not worry about it, I know how to fix this.  Chris and I discussed what I wanted to do at the aid station and he helped me get some ramen and I drank some Coke/Ginger Ale mix.  My stomach handled it ok but I got really sick as we climbed out of Fayette Station.

If wheels fall off in a race, I would say this is where they decided to go on ahead and roll on away.   Poor Chris.  This guy has dealt with more grumpy Sean than anyone I know.  He kept me moving but I was not in a good place.   He talked and told stories.  Asked me questions and prompted me to run.  But every step of running was agony for me.  My stomach was literally hurting.  And the more I moved the more it hurt.   But we kept going.  I can't stress how important having Chris there for these moments was for me.  I would have quit.  I know I would have.  And I would have hated myself for it.  

I don't remember much of miles 55 to 82.  I know it's net uphill.  You are retracing your steps back to the start so there isn't much to say that I haven't said before.  At mile 82, though, I arrived ready to throw in the towel.  And I was crushed.  My legs felt really, REALLY good.  My mind, though,was mush.  I was convinced that I hadn't eaten anything for so long that I was going to not be able to continue.  Even with Chris telling me that I was doing well and that he, Jordan and Trevor would not let me quit.

The scene of the space blanket wrapped weepy Sean burrito at Mile 82.  I can only imagine what the woman in the truck beside us was thinking as my crew was diligently putting me back together while I sobbed.   I won't go into specifics, but, in a very loving way, none of my dudes were taking any of my bullshit.  Before I knew it I was on my feet in a new Houdini and moving with at least 30 quesadillas and a watered-down Coke.   Trevor was ready and we headed out. 

See...calves



As we started moving I was able to shuffle.  One of the things Trevor told me was to let go of the idea that I was going to somehow fall over and die.  To keep moving, the race wasn't over and I would finish.  Chris did the same for me while I was out with him.  And Jordan did the same for me all day. Trevor and I spent the last 18 miles shuffling, talking, and laughing.   I was still in pain but it was the last 18.  No reason to leave anything.  And so we pushed.


Trevor snapped some good pictures 


Heading into the finish Trevor and I enjoyed some cat and mouse with other runners.  There is something about a buddy pointing out souls to eat that is kind of motivating.  Even for a softy like me.  I was feeling super guilty that I drug Chris through the mud at this point.  Maybe it was the smell of the barn, maybe it was just the rhythm of running 100 miles but I was happy again.  Chris told me this would happen.  He was right, as he usually is. 

Jordan showed up at key points and took a bunch of photos of me finishing.   I may share them when my ego is soothed but for now, I'll keep them for me (and Jordan and all the people that follow him on Instagram).   As we went up and down and all around ACE I was getting very emotional thinking about this journey that was ending.  We got to the last half mile and I was so pumped I didn't want to hold back.  Trevor promised to make me run as much of the last 2 miles as he could.  I knew Jordan was watching.  I knew Chris was hoping I would.  I knew I didn't want to George Jefferson the finish like I did at Bryce.  When we hit the last quarter mile I told myself it was on, like Donkey Kong. 

SO I RAN.  It hurt.  It sucked.  But it is probably the proudest of myself I've ever been.

At the finish line, Bryant came over and handed me my well-earned buckle.  Looking at that buckle I was taken back to my childhood home in Beckley.  Running in the woods with my friends, riding bikes.  Building trails and forts.  Heartbreak and wonder while staring at the night sky on my parent's deck.  Wondering about my future and if I would ever "leave this tiny place".  All those moments never daring to dream of this moment.   And that Sean, got me to this Sean.   It was an amazing feeling. 



I told Bryant via email and in-person (the night before the race) that he was doing something for me and the community that could never be repaid.    I don't think it can be explained.   Those mountains in West By God Virginia are special.  They hold history and stories.  But I believe the WV is not a state with only a history.  It has a future.  But it needs more people like Bryant.  

Thank you to all the volunteers and runners.  The community around this race is amazing.  Thank you to John Eric Hastings for chatting me up during my pout miles with Chris and sticking around to see me finish.  Really hope we can get some miles in together soon.  Congrats on your awesome finish dude! Thanks to Rick Burelson and Bob Luther.  You both ran great and gave me some needed boosts at key times.  

Thank you to my Blacksburg/Christiansburg crew (Kristen, Ginger, Danny, Brett, Josh, and Pawel) back at home for chatting me up prior to the race, keeping me sane through the years, and of course, keeping me humble (I'm easily the most humble).  

Trevor and Chris.  I mean.  How do you even begin to explain to anyone else what you both did for me?  Both of you had hard jobs and excelled at the task.  A broken Sean is a very weird thing.  And hours of that is a 100 miler in and of itself.   I will forever be indebted.   Chris... them biscuits.  

Jordan FREAKING CHANG!  Dude we did it!  You see in me things I don't see in myself and have since I met you.  But that is what you do, isn't it?  You see the best and expect better.  I'm so thankful for your friendship but your coaching was such a sweet icing on that cake.  

Last but not least, thank you to Deb for having patience while I trained for and ran this race.  You can't do these things without an understanding and supportive partner.  I love you. 

I love you all.  I mean it.  OH...it took me 29 hours and 43 minutes to finish.  

Comments

  1. I couldn’t keep the smile off of my face as I read your report. Way to persevere! From what I’ve seen, completing a 100 miler takes a monumental effort. But isn’t just an individual task. It takes a collective group that surrounds the runner, whether that be on race day or in the weeks and months leading up to race day. What a spectacular community we have. And how special that you finished this one in the backyard of your childhood home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meagan! We do have the absolute best people :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What are you running from?

The tiles on the bathroom floor were so cold.  Cold and comfortable.  And the feeling in my stomach reminded me of the benders I had been on during my days in sales.  Sick and empty.  But that floor.  Heaven. That is what I remember about my first 1 mile  run.  Whenever anyone asks me about how/why I started running this is what I tell them.  Why do I start this way?  Simply because it paints the beautiful picture of why runners run.  5kers, marathon (what?) speedsters, ultra beasts and casual pub runners all have the same drive.  All share an obsession.  That obsession is squeezing out every drop of the wonderfully sweet syrup life has to offer.  It starts with pain, but running leaves you enjoying the simple things so much more.  Water.  Plain water even tastes sweet. Now that we are getting to know each other I should let you in on a something all those that  are close to me know.  I talk...a lot.  So, of course the story of how/why I began isn't as simple as me laying on a

I am Sean and that is good enough

It is a feeling I have had before.  Many times, actually.  Yet I can't quite put my finger on what it is or what is causing it.  The feeling is something close to desperation mixed with a morose cloud that is overwhelming but still somewhat subtle.  Constant and buzzing in the background.  It starts in the pit of my stomach.  Washes over me in waves that ebb and flow during the day.  My head is clear but thoughts are jumbled.  It is sad.  It is maddening. It is depression. Recently these feelings have been building. There have been things that I have let get under my skin that have caused me to really be down on myself.  I have withdrawn from friends and family.  This is something I am just now becoming conscious of.  It is my way of giving the ones I care about a break from having to deal with me when I am in a mood like this.  It is selfish and I honestly don't know why I keep doing it.  I apologize. The first time I remember being truly sad was when I was 6.  My grandfat

Anxiety and the Art of Self Resilience

January and February are usually  tough months for me.  Lack of sunshine, work stress and self diagnosed seasonal depression all descend on me at once, in one fell swoop.  This leaves my head swimming with a wonderful cocktail of anxiety and self depreciation.  It isn't uncommon for me to retreat into myself.  Last year I had running to focus on.  Holiday Lake 50k++ on the horizon.  I had things to keep me busy and things to look forward to.  This year... I have Umstead 100 mile endurance race and (had) Holiday Lake 50K++, the return of Mao Mao.   But this year I also have a pretty angry left leg.  My tibia is pissed.  And it has every right to be. I've overworked it even though it has been giving me the warning signs of something being wrong.  In short I haven't enjoyed a run since early December.   But this post isn't about leg pain, leg pain management or for me to complain about the pain.  I have already posted about that many times.  No, this is some bullshit pos