Skip to main content

Here we go

 Hanging from my ankles, neck deep in an ocean of caramel-colored water. Or maybe running through a muddy field in only socks. Perhaps...perhaps it is like being punched in the same eye, once a week. But on different days. Waking up to find that your bed has been stolen and you are late for a flight you forgot you booked. I think that is how I'm feeling. But I'm not sure because, even though it's been a month, it is still too new. And I'm not processing. Not like I should be. But what else is new. 

Some days are better than others. All my friends said that is to be expected. I didn't listen but they told me. I recognize I'm a strange brew. Pinch of arrogance, 3 cups of self-doubt, a tablespoon of comedy. Let that sit on the counter until it smells like fermenting lemons. Once you're ready, forget about it for a week then come back to a surprise. It's a boy. 

Enough allegory. I'm starting to realize I don't know who I am. I know who I used to be. Who I want to be. But I have no clue who this stranger who stares back at me in the mirror is. Or what he wants. What he considers his strengths. His real fears. Not the ones everyone has. But instead, the fears that stop him from finding his feet. I have no clue who this guy is. Or if he will be OK. And that is scary. 

I've read before that you have to let your old self die in order to move on to your new self. Appreciate that old self for getting you to where you are now and realize those things, that person was what you needed then. And it may not serve your future. That person. But I sorta liked that guy. I mourn that person. He was kind, at times. He felt invincible, at times. He was built for the life I lived. I don't know what life I want to live now. So in those ruins of old Sean, who do I build? What do I keep? What do I discard? 

I fully realize that this isn't the end of the world. I just lost a job. But I poured everything into that job. Tied my identity to it. Without it, I feel lost. Untethered. I'm not proud of that but it is the truth. The validation I received was intoxicating. It was a drug for me. Constant drips of confirmation that I was OK. Valued. Necessary. Then... it was gone. 

So, I've learned that I need to cultivate that in myself. Do not source it from the outside. Vertically integrate my happiness. Find the things that make me happy, do them, and repeat them. Dig deep and find the courage to be scared. I'm not sure where I'm headed but I know I'm headed somewhere. Hopefully, these two feet have another trip in them. Hopefully, my spirit will heal. Hopefully...I find that new guy. The one the old guy has been trying to introduce me to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you running from?

The tiles on the bathroom floor were so cold.  Cold and comfortable.  And the feeling in my stomach reminded me of the benders I had been on during my days in sales.  Sick and empty.  But that floor.  Heaven. That is what I remember about my first 1 mile  run.  Whenever anyone asks me about how/why I started running this is what I tell them.  Why do I start this way?  Simply because it paints the beautiful picture of why runners run.  5kers, marathon (what?) speedsters, ultra beasts and casual pub runners all have the same drive.  All share an obsession.  That obsession is squeezing out every drop of the wonderfully sweet syrup life has to offer.  It starts with pain, but running leaves you enjoying the simple things so much more.  Water.  Plain water even tastes sweet. Now that we are getting to know each other I should let you in on a something all those that  are close to me know.  I talk...a lot.  So, of course the story of how/why I began isn't as simple as me laying on a

I am Sean and that is good enough

It is a feeling I have had before.  Many times, actually.  Yet I can't quite put my finger on what it is or what is causing it.  The feeling is something close to desperation mixed with a morose cloud that is overwhelming but still somewhat subtle.  Constant and buzzing in the background.  It starts in the pit of my stomach.  Washes over me in waves that ebb and flow during the day.  My head is clear but thoughts are jumbled.  It is sad.  It is maddening. It is depression. Recently these feelings have been building. There have been things that I have let get under my skin that have caused me to really be down on myself.  I have withdrawn from friends and family.  This is something I am just now becoming conscious of.  It is my way of giving the ones I care about a break from having to deal with me when I am in a mood like this.  It is selfish and I honestly don't know why I keep doing it.  I apologize. The first time I remember being truly sad was when I was 6.  My grandfat

Anxiety and the Art of Self Resilience

January and February are usually  tough months for me.  Lack of sunshine, work stress and self diagnosed seasonal depression all descend on me at once, in one fell swoop.  This leaves my head swimming with a wonderful cocktail of anxiety and self depreciation.  It isn't uncommon for me to retreat into myself.  Last year I had running to focus on.  Holiday Lake 50k++ on the horizon.  I had things to keep me busy and things to look forward to.  This year... I have Umstead 100 mile endurance race and (had) Holiday Lake 50K++, the return of Mao Mao.   But this year I also have a pretty angry left leg.  My tibia is pissed.  And it has every right to be. I've overworked it even though it has been giving me the warning signs of something being wrong.  In short I haven't enjoyed a run since early December.   But this post isn't about leg pain, leg pain management or for me to complain about the pain.  I have already posted about that many times.  No, this is some bullshit pos