Skip to main content

Day One

As I flipped on the light switch I felt the electricity of anticipation surge through my body.  It isn't going to be an ordinary day.  No day after today will be ordinary.   It was odd to know this and yet still be unsure of just how extraordinary today would become.  How different I was going to be from here on out.  Knowledge is fleeting and floating.  It is a sly thing.  Hard to attain and, if not properly cared for, will slip away like a lost sneeze.   Grip too tightly and you can snuff it out or twist it into a shape unrecognizable.   It's enough to make you want to switch the light back off.

The weather was holding onto the last remnants of early winter.  Afternoons could be sunny and mild.  They could also turn overcast and blustery.  Because of this I grabbed my jacket just in case my hoodie wouldn't be enough.   I took one last look back into my apartment thinking through my mental check list.  Back window, locked.  Water faucet, off.  Lights in the bedroom, off.  Fridge, closed.  All good.   Time to get the day started.  It hasn't really even started and I am already late.  What is new?

I turned down the sidewalk towards the corner of Wilson and 5th.  On that corner sits my favorite little coffee place.  The coffee is a 5 on a scale from 1-10 and the owner was an asshole but they have the best view of people as they headed to their jobs, their lives.  And that is what I needed more than anything. 

Just as I was going to sip my over sized mug of sludge, Fenny sits down beside me.  "I read that in some societies it is considered a sign of respect to return your friend's calls.  It is even said that if someone takes time out of their life to get to know more about yours, you should actually return that act in kind."   Without looking up at Fenny I simply replied "I was taking a poop."  Fenny replied "For two days?"

Fenny and I had know each other since grade school.  There wasn't another person on this earth that even came close to knowing me half as well.  And that included me.  So you can imagine how frustrating it was that Fenny still expected me to return calls.  It was pure luck I even made it out the door in the morning.  Remembering to call back was something I wasn't going to ever be good at.

It was this way for as long as I could remember.  Same sludge in a mug.  Same witty banter between two old friends. Same view.  Sometimes the details would change but at it's core the scene outside that dirty window stayed the same.  As if prescribed, everyone seemed to basically stay on the same path.  The familiarity of it was comforting and suffocating.  I was bound by the mundane.

 At about a quarter to 11 Fenny popped back in before he headed to "lunch".   I was in buried in my laptop.  Tapping away on some crap I was writing and trying not to vomit.  Not because my writing was that bad but because, as I was fairly certain, the muffin I choked down to soak up the sludge was a few months past it's prime.  But a person has to eat.  Right?

Fenny grabbed a chair from a nearby table and sat it on the opposite of me.  He even swung the seat so the back faced me, not his aback.   He climbed onto it like he was mounting a horse or motorcycle or a bike.  Something with a saddle.  What was super irritating about this was that I chose the table I chose for many reasons.  One of which was because it was easy to move the other chair from that table to another table and it not seem crazy I was alone.  The table was the right size for one.  Especially one who was spreading out over the table with their life.   So when Fenny left every morning I was kind of on my own.  Which is what I liked.

I did try to ignore Fenny.  He was hard to ignore.   Fenny was tall and thin.  But not too thin.  He had a beard that was always two days away from completely grown in.  We never talked about it but I'm not 100% sure it just didn't grow that way.  Like stunted.   His eyes sat on his face in a way that was welcoming but made him look mischievous.   He had worked in construction while in college and his hands never recovered.  If he got nervous or anxious he would rub them together like they were cold.  He said his nerves made his hands tingle like they were freezing.  And today he looked like he was standing outside in sub freezing temperatures without gloves or one of those dope ass trash can fires.

Fenny and I met sometime between 4th and 5th grade.  He was a year ahead of me in school and we lived only a few houses apart.  We would spend most days together after school or on the weekends.  Even after his parents split, we managed to hang out a lot.  Fenny was funny, even back then.  As we got older our adventures found us spanning out farther and farther away from home.  Two wheels turned to four.  Gas money turned into trip money.  It was really cool.

Right as I turned 18 Fenny and I decided to see if we couldn't make it to the Smoky Mountains.  I wanted to go to Dollywood.   Fenny wanted to camp.  So we didn't agree on a lot but we both liked adventure.   This was before mobile phones.   Ok, well actually it wasn't before they actually existed but more like before they existed for us.  My parents had given up on me and Fenny's parents were too busy hating each other to notice when he was missing.  So off to the Smoky Mountains we went.

The trip between home and the Smoky Mountains went well and seemed to fly by.  We talked and joked, which is pretty much how every day went.  But like any good road trip, these conversations had a different weight to them.   A mass.  Something indescribable but necessary.   Fenny drove most of the time and I can still see his expression change as he talked about all the things he wanted to do with this life.  His dreams and plans.  As he spoke his eyes would shift back and forth and made you feel like he was watching it all unfold on the road in front him.

Fenny had dreams. For as long as I had known him that was what he was.  A dreamer.  But he didn't have the kind of dreams everyone else has.  His dreams were about having a family and taking care of people.  His family and friends.  His dreams didn't include fame or fortune.  His dreams didn't include power like non other in the universe.  He didn't want to change the entire world.  Just his. 

With about 30 miles to go we stopped to get gas and a few snacks.  Being 18 and me I had decided that the trip needed a little flavor that only weed could provide.  As mind expanding events go, spending a weekend in Dollywood stoned was considered by many as top 5.   And I also thought that the road trip itself would be a whole lot more fun if I were high.   So I was right so far and looking forward to being right when we got there.

The cop in the gas station had other ideas.  One look into my wide eyes and the jig was up.  It could have also been the arm load of Pringles, Milky Ways and Cokes that gave me away.  Or the laughing when the cashier gave me the total.  Shockingly I remember thinking, "How the hell am I going to pay for this with my hands so full?"  Looking down at my haul as I exited the store I actually felt really calm.  That was some good weed.  As I walked back to Fenny's car  a cold, stern cop voice shouted from behind me.  "Hey kid...KID!  You didn't pay!"

I stopped cold and stared straight into Fenny's face.  The same wonder and calm I saw in his eyes the whole way here had been replaced with the kind of dread only a stoned 19 year old can muster.  The kind of dread that flashed your brain with thoughts about jail time and ruined futures.  The kind of dread only youth feels when the illusion of invulnerability is stripped away.

That dread in his eyes so many years ago was the same dread I saw in Fenn'ys eyes when I looked at him over the screen of my laptop.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What are you running from?

The tiles on the bathroom floor were so cold.  Cold and comfortable.  And the feeling in my stomach reminded me of the benders I had been on during my days in sales.  Sick and empty.  But that floor.  Heaven. That is what I remember about my first 1 mile  run.  Whenever anyone asks me about how/why I started running this is what I tell them.  Why do I start this way?  Simply because it paints the beautiful picture of why runners run.  5kers, marathon (what?) speedsters, ultra beasts and casual pub runners all have the same drive.  All share an obsession.  That obsession is squeezing out every drop of the wonderfully sweet syrup life has to offer.  It starts with pain, but running leaves you enjoying the simple things so much more.  Water.  Plain water even tastes sweet. Now that we are getting to know each other I should let you in on a something all those that  are close to me know.  I talk...a lot.  So, of course the story of how/why I began isn't as simple as me laying on a

I am Sean and that is good enough

It is a feeling I have had before.  Many times, actually.  Yet I can't quite put my finger on what it is or what is causing it.  The feeling is something close to desperation mixed with a morose cloud that is overwhelming but still somewhat subtle.  Constant and buzzing in the background.  It starts in the pit of my stomach.  Washes over me in waves that ebb and flow during the day.  My head is clear but thoughts are jumbled.  It is sad.  It is maddening. It is depression. Recently these feelings have been building. There have been things that I have let get under my skin that have caused me to really be down on myself.  I have withdrawn from friends and family.  This is something I am just now becoming conscious of.  It is my way of giving the ones I care about a break from having to deal with me when I am in a mood like this.  It is selfish and I honestly don't know why I keep doing it.  I apologize. The first time I remember being truly sad was when I was 6.  My grandfat

Anxiety and the Art of Self Resilience

January and February are usually  tough months for me.  Lack of sunshine, work stress and self diagnosed seasonal depression all descend on me at once, in one fell swoop.  This leaves my head swimming with a wonderful cocktail of anxiety and self depreciation.  It isn't uncommon for me to retreat into myself.  Last year I had running to focus on.  Holiday Lake 50k++ on the horizon.  I had things to keep me busy and things to look forward to.  This year... I have Umstead 100 mile endurance race and (had) Holiday Lake 50K++, the return of Mao Mao.   But this year I also have a pretty angry left leg.  My tibia is pissed.  And it has every right to be. I've overworked it even though it has been giving me the warning signs of something being wrong.  In short I haven't enjoyed a run since early December.   But this post isn't about leg pain, leg pain management or for me to complain about the pain.  I have already posted about that many times.  No, this is some bullshit pos